| Gemeinde Brunow
History of Gemeinde Brunow
ContentsPopulation in 1819
Population in 1876
Post World War II
Not Part of Mecklenburg?
Village Pictures--Brunow Village Pictures
Other LinksWhat is it? Where is it?
Geographic and Political History of Mecklenburg
History of the Villages of Gemeinde Brunow, Karl-Heinz Steinbruch
Geschichte der Dörfer Gemeinde Brunow, Karl-Heinz Steinbruch
The Church at Brunow
Inside the Church at Brunow
Gemeinde Brunow - Gold Medal Winner
Gemeinde Brunow Today
Brunow Fire Department
Youth Circus Weekend
Official Amt Grabow Online Portal - German Language only
A Brief Summary with Additional Historical Information
The history of the villages of what is now known as Gemeinde Brunow can be traced back several centuries. Agriculture was the primary trade, with the estate farms cultivating various crops and raising cattle, swine and sheep. For a more detailed description of the histories of each village see the History of the Villages of Gemeinde Brunow by Karl-Heinz Steinbruch.
Because the villages were near the Mecklenburg border, they would have had been in an interesting position. While Mecklenburg remained agrarian and independent, the growing military empire of Prussia was only a few kilometers away, just across the border.
The table below shows the population of the villages that now form Gemeinde-Brunow as recorded in the 1819 Census of Mecklenburg-Schwerin:
After World War II the villages became a part of the GDR (German Democratic Republic or East Germany).
The next change in the fortunes of the villages came in 1989 when the GDR collapsed. In 1990 the reunification of the former states of East Germany with the states of West Germany brought about the re-establishment of the former German states.
When the borders of the new states were redrawn, the villages of Brunow, Klüß, and Bauerkuhl were assigned to Landkreis Perleberg in the state of Brandenburg. But the residents of the villages were proud of their past, and wanted to return to Mecklenburg.
In 1991 Pastor Manfred Fink traveled to the legislature of the state of Brandenburg to provide proof from the church registers that the villages were originally part of Mecklenburg.
An election was held to determine the wishes of the residents. Over 50 percent of the eligible voters of the Gemeinde would need to vote in favor of the measure for it to pass. The residents voted to be returned to Mecklenburg, and in July of 1992 the villages became a part of Landkreis Ludwigslust in Mecklenburg-Vorpommerrn.
The historical information above was compiled from publicly available census information, the Karl-Heinz Steinbruch histories and the articles listed in the following credits
The Church at Brunow
This page was last updated on 13 October 2003
This page created by David Thies - Contact me via e-mail